J. Olin McDougall, II, Esquire
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina
J. Olin "Lin" McDougall, II, Esquire, graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1994, and has actively represented the rights of injured victims since 1996. Mr. McDougall has been practicing law in Beaufort, South Carolina since 1996, concentrating in the areas of Serious Injury and Death Claims, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Workers Compensation Claims, Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect, Medical Malpractice, Insurance Claims and Litigation, Premises Liability, Defective and Dangerous Products, School and Education Litigation, and Boating and Water Accidents.
Born in Columbia, South Carolina, Mr. McDougall was raised in Sumter, South Carolina, graduating High School from Wilson Hall in May, 1987.
Mr. McDougall continued his education at Wake Forest University, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, starting the Fall of 1987. While at Wake Forest, Mr. McDougall majored in English, and made the Dean's List. In addition to his studies, Mr. McDougall remained active in the Kappa Alpha Order as a Rush Chairman, and being elected to the office of Historian his Senior Year.
Mr. McDougall graduated from Wake Forest in May of 1991, with a Bachelor of Arts in English.
Mr. McDougall entered the University of South Carolina School of Law in the Fall of 1991. While at the University of South Carolina School of Law, Mr. McDougall made the Dean's List and, in addition to his regular course load, engaged in a number of independent legal studies in his particular areas of interest, which included, among others, a survey of International legal issues and an analysis of the propriety of corporal punishment.
Mr. McDougall also remained involved in a number of Legal Societies. Most notably, as a member of the Student Chapter of the South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association, Mr. McDougall was the Legal Research Coordinator for the Association.
During Law School, Mr. McDougall also clerked for Furr & Henshaw, a firm specializing in Medical Malpractice. In addition to Medical Malpractice issues, Mr. McDougall also gained substantial exposure to Nursing Home and Assisted Living Malpractice, catastrophic injury and Defective Products cases.
After graduating from Law School, in August 1994, Mr. McDougall was employed by the South Carolina Judicial Department, as Law Clerk to the Honorable Henry F. Floyd. At the time Judge Floyd was a State Circuit Court Judge, and subsequently a United States District Court Judge for the District of South Carolina, Spartanburg Division. Judge Floyd is now a Judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, having received his commission to serve in that capacity on October 5, 2011.
After a one year clerkship with Judge Floyd, Mr. McDougall entered private practice as an Associate with McDougall & Self, LLP, a firm specializing in litigating matters in the Family Courts of South Carolina.
In 1996, Mr. McDougall moved to Beaufort, South Carolina and began the practice that ultimately evolved into the McDougall LawFirm. Initially, Mr. McDougall began representing injured victims in the firm that was ultimately known as Daugs, Tedder, Newman & McDougall. At that time, Mr. McDougall began litigating Serious Injury and Death Claims, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Workers Compensation Claims, Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect, Medical Malpractice, Insurance Claims and Litigation, Premises Liability, Defective and Dangerous Products, School and Education Litigation, and Boating and Water Accidents.
Subsequently, after practicing with Harvey & Battey, then Newman & McDougall, LLC, Mr. McDougall opened the McDougall LawFirm, LLC in July, 2007. This practice is limited to Personal Injury (including Auto Accidents, Truck Accidents, Commercial Truck & Emergency Vehicle Accidents, Bicycle / Pedestrian Accidents, Distracted Driver Accidents, Rollover Accidents, Golf Course/Cart Accidents, Swimming Pool Accidents, Defective & Dangerous Products, Insurance Claims & Litigation, School & Education Litigation, Serious Injury & Death Claims and Special Needs Injury), Medical & Nursing Home Malpractice (including Nursing Home Abuse, Medical Devices & Pharmaceutical Drugs, Dental & Chiropractic, Malnutrition/Dehydration), Professional Negligence, Sexual Assault, Workers Compensation, Commercial & Corporate Law, Real Estate Litigation and Time Share Litigation.
Mr. McDougall has been successful in making a personal commitment to his clients while providing professional representation, aggressively protecting his clients' interests and their legal matters.
With offices located in Beaufort, South Carolina, The McDougall LawFirm, LLC consists of Mr. McDougall, one Associate and a support staff of 6 assistants and paralegals.
Mr. McDougall's family consists of his wife, Shawn, his sons Jack and Thomas, and his daughter, Madison.
In Mr. McDougall's limited amount of time outside of the law office, he enjoys spending time with his family, running, and reading.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Auto Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Commercial Truck & Emergency Vehicle Accidents
- Bicycle / Pedestrian Accidents
- Distracted Driver Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Golf Course/Cart Accidents
- Swimming Pool Accidents
- Defective & Dangerous Products
- Insurance Claims & Litigation
- School & Education Litigation
- Serious Injury & Death Claims
- Special Needs Injury
- Medical & Nursing Home Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Medical Devices & Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Dental & Chiropractic
- Professional Negligence
- Sexual Assault
- Workers Compensation
- Commercial & Corporate Law
- Real Estate Litigation
- Time Share Litigation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- South Carolina, 1994
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
J.D. - 1994
Honors: Dean's List
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
B.A. - 1991
Honors: Dean's List
Featured and Recognized
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell list of Top Lawyers in South Carolina, 2013
- Cambridge Who's Who, Lifetime Member
- Continental Who's Who, Honored Member
- Presidential Who's Who Among Business and Professional Achievers, 2008 - Present
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Lifetime Member
- Leadership Beaufort Class of 1999, Member
- Pan European Organization of Personal Injury Lawyers, Member
- Advisory Board of the Litigation Counsel of America's Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Barrister, Order of Veritas
- Hilton Head Monthly list of Top Lawyers, April, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association of Justice, Member, 1996 - Present
- Beaufort County Bar Association, Member, 1996 - Present
- South Carolina Bar Association, Member, 1994 - Present
- South Carolina Bar Association, House of Delegates, July 1, 1999 - June 30, 2001
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Member, 1996 - Present
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Student Research Coordinator, 1993 - 1994
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association, 2006 - Present
- The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, 2012 - Present
- Injured Workers’ Advocates, Member, 2013
- Diversity Law Institute, Member
- Trial Law Institute, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Newman & McDougall, LLC, 2002 - 2007
- Harvey & Battey, P.A., Associate, 2001 - 2002
- Daugs, Tedder, Newman & McDougall, Partner, 1996 - 2001
- McDougall & Self, Associate, 1995 - 1996
- Hon. Henry F. Floyd, 13th Judicial Circuit, Law Clerk, 1994 - 1995
- Furr & Henshaw, Law Clerk, 1993 - 1994
- South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association, Student Research Coordinator, 1993 - 1994
Pro Bono Activities
- South Carolina Bar Association, Assistant Chairman of the Pro Bono Divorce Clinic of the Fourteenth Judicial Circuit
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Member, 1997 - Present
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Pro Bono Attorney for the Beaufort/Dale/Burton branch on an as needed basis
- Franciscan Center, Pro Bono Attorney on an as needed basis
- Literacy Volunteers of the Lowcountry, Tutor, 1997 - 1999
- Literacy Volunteers of the Lowcountry, Board Member, 1998 - 2002
- American Civil Liberties Union, Member, 1998 - Present
- Kappa Alpha Order
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,500,000.00 Case Type: Personal Injury Due to Manufacturing Defect of a Surgical Tool Cart
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,158,812.77 Case Type: Trucking Accident for Deceased Plaintiff
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,200,000.00 Case Type: School/Education Case
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,200,000.00 Case Type: Personal Injury on Construction Site
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,000,000.00 Case Type: Auto vs. Trucking Accident case
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,500,000.00 Case Type: Sexual Assault Case
- Total Recovery Amount: $1,250,000.00 Case Type: Auto Accident Case
Beaufort Law Office
115 Lady's Island Commons
Beaufort, SC 29907
Hilton Head Law Office
112-A Arrow Road
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
* Available by appointment only
Bluffton Law Office
10 Pinckney Colony Road, Bldg 300
Bluffton, SC 29910
* Available by appointment only